HOUSTON WING TSUN KUNG FU
"Teaching the average guy how to fight
better than the average guy."
The name "wing tsun" means "eternal springtime" or "forever growing". That means if you train Wing Tsun, you will never stop growing and developing - as a fighter and as an individual.
Wing Tsun is:
- A purely principle-based, 300+ year-old fighting system;
- The principles Wing Tsun is built on govern all human hand-to-hand combat;
- Those principles can be violated - but only at a price!
- Wing Tsun training develops in you the ability to exact that price from any attacker;
- Wing Tsun starts as a science, then becomes art, and ends up as simply you.
How Does Wing Tsun Training Benefit You?
Wing Tsun Training gives you:
- A faster, stronger, healthier, more flexible body;
- Your mind becomes sharper, more focused, relaxed and aware;
- It will act in in sync with you and your surroundings;
- Your mind-body connection becomes ever more powerful as your training continues;
- You will be a happier, more confident, more outgoing and at-ease 'You', and
- You will have Way more fun in life than you ever believed possible.
Who Can Learn Wing Tsun??
If you have a brain and the ability to focus on something worthwhile that will benefit you for the rest of your life, and if you still have most of your limbs, you can learn Wing Tsun. There are no other limitations.
The Teaching System
Houston's Backyard Wing Tsun Kung Fu teaches the ins and outs of this intriguing combat system through a practical, step-by-step curriculum that builds concept upon concept, movement on movement, skill upon skill. It enables men and women to turn their minds and bodies into literal 'fighting machines on autopilot' when attacked. Yet, Wing Tsun is far more than just self-defense.
The Goal of Wing Tsun Training
The goal is to train your mind and body not to resist attacks, but to literally complement an attacker's movements, all in a way that leaves him unable to keep going - and you able to keep living!
The First Five Student Programs:
The first five student programs teach you how to use your Wing Tsun against every kind of common "street-fighter" attack:
Program 1 teaches long-distance to middle-distance fighting concepts involving counters to leg kicks and punches to the head and upper body.
Program 2 teaches counters to middle-distance attacks to your abdomen as well as simple leg-sweep defenses and counters.
Program 3 covers defenses against round attacks to the body.
Program 4 shows how to deal with hay-makers and other roundhouse punches to the head;
Program 5 offers ingenious ways to deal with powerful Muay Thai-style knee and elbow attacks, short hooks, throws, and counter throws.
After that, the real fun begins! Now, in "Chi Sao" (clinging arms) training, you learn how to make all of your Wing Tsun techniques reflexive so you can use them subconsciously as the need arises.
Next, you learn how to field-test your newly ingrained reflexes at will in "Lat Sao" (free-hand) training against attacks from the distance without prior contact - first against one, and later against multiple opponents.
You learn how to do all of this instinctively, without being forced to second-guess what an attacker might do to you. That keeps you on the offensive and leaves your mind free to stay relaxed and aware, even under the most intense pressure.
I have been teaching Wing Tsun in Houston since 1988. At Houston's Backyard Wing Tsun, I teach ordinary people with ordinary abilities to survive sudden, vicious, and potentially deadly attacks. In the process, they learn to get far more out of life than they ever expected.
Houston's Backyard Wing Tsun is focused on teaching exactly that.
It's Your Body. It's Your Mind. It's Your Wing Tsun!
In later stages of your training (i.e., within weeks and months - not years and decades!) your arms and legs become extensions of your body's sensory apparatus. You learn to instinctively contact an attacker’s incoming arms and legs with yours, literally forcing him to 'tell' you exactly what he is trying to do, to what part of your body, in which direction he is moving, how fast, and with how much power and follow-through.
If his attacks threaten your 'core' (the major targets along your body’s vertical axis), your arms naturally and automatically form flexible barriers to the attacks, moving your body into a safe position while your unoccupied limbs freely strike the unprotected parts of his body, counter-attacking him with complete relaxation, vicious speed, and deadly ferocity, all while running virtually on auto-pilot.
This leaves your mind free to perceive everything your attacker does and everything in your periphery that could become a potential threat to you.
At the Houston Wing Tsun Backyard, on the way to learning to fight this way, you discover how your body was designed to move, to breathe, and to rest. You practice to almost 'accept' close physical and even dangerous, potentially life-threatening encounters with a relaxed and carefree, almost happy come what may attitude.
As a result of this practice, your body and mind become ever closer intertwined until, in the end, they become quite literally one.
During this training process, you learn to move only when necessary, with the exact speed, power, and intensity required by the situation at hand, without losing your cool or composure. As a result, you mentally 'open up' to the people you are working out with because you know they are on the same path as you, have the same challenges as you, and are really only trying to be a better 'they', just as you are learning to become a better you.
In the end, you discover that what you are learning and have been learning and training all along is a form of applied philosophy in action, a way of living, responding, and interacting with reality that translates easily into every aspect of the rest of your life, making it happier, fuller, more exciting, more challenging, and far more satisfying and enjoyable than you ever could have imagined.
What in the beginning was a limited two-hour 'vacation' from the sameness, the lameness, and the stress of everyday life becomes a lifetime pursuit of happiness and personal power, a new way of living.
It is how human beings were supposed to live from the beginning.
I hope you'll come and visit us soon to see what it's like.
All the Best,
Alex WallenweinIt's the Way of Wing Tsun
Visit our YouTube Channel.
- Why Wing Tsun?
- Why Wing Tsun? Why not MMA or some other martial arts? Why here, at the Wing Tsun Backyard?
- Instructor Alex Wallenwein
- Alex Wallenwein's bio as a Wing Tsun Instructor
- Learning Wing Tsun
- What does 'learning Wing Tsun' really mean?
- Practicing Wing Tsun
- Practicing Wing Tsun the wrong way has the opposite effect. Here is how to do it the right way:
- Teaching Wing Tsun
- Teaching Wing Tsun is a natural extension of your training - so why not do it professionally?
- Wooden Dummy Training at Backyard Wing Tsun
- Wooden dummy training starts early at Backyard Wing Tsun.
- Wing Tsun Classes & Location
- Houston's Backyard Wing Tsun Class Times & Location.
- Backyard Wing Tsun Curriculum
- A short description of the training curriculum at Houston's Backyard Wing Tsun Kung Fu.
- Wing Tsun Seminars with Sifu Simon Mayer
- Wing Tsun Seminars with Sifu Simon Mayer happen four times a year at Houston's Wing Tsun Backyard.
- Backyard WingTsun - Testimonials
- What people are saying about Backyard Wing Tsun.
- Backyard Wing Tsun Site Blog
- Stay up to date with changes to our website. Just click 'subscribe', and you will.
- Resource Pages for Backyard Wing Tsun Students
- 'Martial Arts Houston' is a free local directory that provides an overview of the martial arts scene in Houston, Texas.
- Wing Tsun Equipment
- WIng Tsun equipment page for Houston's 'Backyard' Wing Tsun Kung Fu.
- Wing Tsun Lat Sao: Simple is Better
- In Wing Tsun Lat Sao training, simple is indeed better. Needless complexity defeats the purpose.